Who we are…
Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation
Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation Ltd (POWHF) is the established health promotion charity supporting the Prince of Wales Hospital Randwick (POWH).
Led by accomplished fundraising industry expert Andrew Giles, an engaged and involved Board of Directors and POWHF’s dedicated team work to build community and private partnerships, to raise vital funds and awareness for the continued development of health promotion, research, education, equipment, facilities and special projects at POWH.
The POWHF is a tax deductible gift recipient (DGR 1 status), which can receive tax deductible donations. It is established as a Health Promotion Charity under the Australian Tax Office law. In addition, POWHF is registered with The ACNC, approved by the Department of Gaming & Racing NSW; governed by Australian Securities & Investment Commission and Corporations Law.
ABN: 21 109 372 545 | CFN: 18552
Prince of Wales Hospital
The Prince of Wales Hospital is a major public teaching hospital located in Sydney’s eastern suburb of Randwick providing a full range of hospital services to the people of New South Wales, Australia. POWH is dedicated to improving the quality of care for all patients in Sydney and regional NSW, and offers specialist treatments to interstate patients. POWH is affiliated with the University of NSW, one of the premier medical teaching facilities in Australia. This assists in providing excellence in care in conjunction with a commitment to clinical teaching and medical research.
The Hospital has 440 beds, an average occupancy rate (number of beds occupied) of well over 90% and almost 3,000 staff. Each year more than 30,000 acute patients are admitted and about 58,400 patients are treated in the Emergency Department, one of the busiest in Australia. POWH also attends to around 900,000 non-admitted patient occasions of service each year through the Community Health, outpatients and rural outreach service. The Hospital has established the only Phase 1 Research Facility in the Southern Hemisphere and provides specialty services in areas such as hyperbaric medicine, neuroscience, emergency medicine, spinal medicine and cardiovascular services.
Your Hospital’s History
The Prince of Wales Hospital had its origins in 1852 with the formation of the Society for Destitute Children which established the Asylum for Destitute Children with the first building opened on 21 March 1858 in Paddington. After an appeal for funds in 1870, the Catherine Hayes Hospital opened, reputedly with plans approved by Florence Nightingale. In 1915, during the First World War the hospital was converted by the NSW Government into a military hospital and then a repatriation hospital, and renamed the Fourth Australian Repatriation Hospital. In 1927 an association between the Coast Hospital and the Fourth Australian Repatriation Hospital at Randwick began. With the opening of the Concord Repatriation General Hospital in 1953, the Hospital was renamed the Prince of Wales Hospital, and operated as an annexe of Sydney Hospital. Restructuring and hospital redevelopment has continued to occur to enhance the medical and patient facilities of the hospital, including amalgamation with the Prince Henry Hospital, Royal South Sydney Hospital and the Eastern Suburbs Hospital.